Friday, May 30, 2008

Luke

This is Luke, or at least Luke as I remember him. He is warm and soft. He is needy, he is loving, he wants nothing more than to be next to you, be a part of you. Luke has been important, integral. He's been a catalyst, an enabler, and if nothing else, a watcher. About the only constant for well over a decade. There was always Luke.

I write about him because I don't want to forget him. I don't want to forget my life with him, because I fear I'll forget my life completely. Luke has been sick for some time now. He has been slowly fading away. And now that he is gone, I feel him stronger than ever. I feel him at my side, in a way he wasn't able to be for many years.

Life is a struggle for all, but these have been particularly trying years, because as I myself age, I find more doors closing and I feel panic setting him.

Yes he's just a dog, or was just a dog, but now he is more. He is a spirit, an enigma. A power. Real or imagined, it does not matter.

No comments: